Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Excitement Builds!

I'm officially done work, and am starting the dive course tonight in Manly.

I can't believe it's already time to start moving around the country again. I can't wait until Monday when I head south, and the inevitability that comes with "South = Colder?" that I'm not used to at home.

The thing I'm probably most looking forward to is diving in a place called the Cod Hole. I heard about it on a travel show here and thought it was in some far off remote location I'd probably never go to. Then I signed up on this Mike Ball trip in the Great Barrier Reef and find it's one of the places we go.

Why am I excited? Well, it's home to a species of fish known as Potato Cod (Impressive, n'est pas?). These fish are the size of, if not bigger than people, are very curious and not afraid to swim right up to you, and swim along while you're diving. Being eye to eye with a fish the size of me is going to be a great experience!

2 comments:

Dave Johnson said...

Well you know what I would be doing swimming beside a fish as big as I was. The turd would be that large as well.

Enjoy your time and travels, stay safe and have one hell of a good trip.

Shannon said...

WoW ryan, i just looked at pic of potatoe cod...u r friggin out of your mind... im glad your there..i wouldnt have the guyts to swim with them althought they do look friendly.