Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Finalization

I've thrown some research behind Cairns, and have decided on what I want to do.

The Mike Ball Expeditions 7-day Coral Safari (itinerary / map). It's bloody expensive coming in at just over $3000, but I think it will be well worth the investment. It includes all food, beverages, fees, transport, food, fuel, air, etc. The only extras would be if I wanted to rent a camera for a day.

On the topic of expense - this is probably why I've left myself $3000 sitting in my bank account at home. My rough calculations estimate that after paying for this trip, I will have about $5000 AUD to cover any costs incurred while travelling. Which should be plenty of cash to survive 16 days on a bus + the last few weeks of living and working here.

I'm also refusing to touch my taxes and superannuation (pension) until I leave so that I will be able to afford paying tax in Canada on the money I've earned. As of my last paycheque I've paid $1622 in tax, of which I get a percentage back, and $849.77 in superannuation, of which I get all of it back.

3 comments:

Dave Johnson said...

Good planning and I'm glad you are now taking some time to explore and have some fun. Get a letter of reference from your boss, it will help you when you get back home. I'll send an EMail as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ry
Just catching up on what you've been up to. The liveaboard sounds amazing. Glad you're set to come home soon - it will be so nice to see you and hear all about your adventures.
Love Mom

Barb Chapman said...

Have a great time on your travels ... sounds like your ging to have a blast !!
Barb