Friday, May 30, 2008

Here at last

It's 12:06pm on May 30th, 2008, and I'm sitting on my bed at the hostel in Sydney Australia.

The drive from the airport was interesting....From what I say this place is a little dingy looking and a bunch of the places in the CBD look dodgy at best. But then again, Toronto looks mostly the same so you can't really judge a book by it's cover I guess.

My feelings are still up in the air about all this. The reality that I'm all on my own is starting to sink in. I just got here, and I feel lonely already. Hopefully when I talk with Penny and move in with her things will get better. And who knows, maybe I'll meet my roomates and we'll hit it off and I won't feel so bad anymore.

I've vowed to myself that I am going to last as long as my trip to Europe. If I don't like the way things are going here I may quit whatever work I'm doing and travel to see what I wanted to see when I planned this trip. Then call it and head home.

I don't like not knowing anyone and being completely alone in everything I do. Perhaps that's something to remember the next time I get a crazy idea like this.

5 comments:

Dave Johnson said...

Get some rest son, then reevaluate where you are staying. If you don't feel safe, call Penny and connect with her. This will help, you will have someone to talk to and things will start to get better. If it doesn't work out, see if there is another Con Tiki tour around OZ. Hell you are already there so the flight is paid for. Give it time, you will start to enjoy it, and we are right here with you.

Shannon said...

Hi Ry

Glad you made it there safe and sound..I knew you would. Give it some time bud...everything will be great. Enjoy this experiance. We are all with you in your heart and in your thoughts. Have a blast. i miss you too. Can wait to see some pics. Love ya

Luv Shan

Barb Chapman said...

It's so good to hear from you !! I'm sure the very long trip has taken a bit of a toll on you so get some well deserved rest then I'm sure the world of Aus will look a lot better. We're all thinking about you !!!
Barb

Anonymous said...

Why the hell haven't you called Penny ? Just kidding- but she'll feed you and her mom and dad will drive you all around Australia - just for asking! I think you'll know what I mean when you meet them! Have fun - see lots - keep the blog as current as you can - and take lots of pics. Gord

Bruce and Anne Compton said...

Hey Ryan. Picture that your in a place called Donga, which is in Nigeria, in a jungle away from any form of civilization, even email, and by yourself, now that's lonely. Like your dad said, you will get use to it. At least the people speak English so you can strike (not a bowling term) up a conversation. Just make sure they know you're from Canada and you like Australian Rules Football. Be safe talk soon

Bruce and Anne