Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Welcome!


Well, here it is. My blog. To those that know me, welcome. To those that don't, what the hell are you doing here?

Anyhow, whoever you are, let me give you a bit about myself. I was born in Toronto, Canada and have lived there ever since. I enjoy it here, and don't really think I could call myself something other than a Canadian. I had your typical life growing up, school, play, sports, etc. I worked at a fish and chip restaurant through high school and college. I graduated in December of 2006 with honours in Computer Engineering. To celebrate my graduation, I decided to take a Contiki tour with a good friend of mine.

This is where my life and priorities changed a bit. I did the 39-day European Adventurer. What a blast! I had the most amazing time with 40 complete strangers on a bus through 16 countries in Europe. We drank, we got lost in cities, we went paragliding, we wandered the red light district in Amsterdam. Needless to say every single one of them is now one of my best friends and we still keep in touch. I was pretty depressed when I got back from Europe. I knew nothing could possibly top what I had just experienced in 6 weeks. And then I found SWAP.

SWAP introduced me to a phrase I had never heard before. Working Holiday. Basically, you're on vacation in another country, but you're allowed to stay for an extended period of time and work to support your travel funds. What an ingenious idea! I was hooked, and now here you are, reading about my impending adventures in the land down under.

I am leaving in two days, on Wednesday May 28th. I will arrive in Australia on Friday morning (AUS Time). I'm excited, I'm nervous, I have no idea what's going to happen, and that's the best part. So, check back often, leave a comment or two, send me an email, whatever you like! This blog is all about culture differences, and learning about a new place.

No comments: