Saturday, June 7, 2008

Australianisms

And I'm not talking about throwing a shrimp on the barbie. Nobody says that here, it's a cliche that really shouldn't exist.

But I digress.

Some things that are considerably different here than back home that I've noticed. For instance, pennies don't exist here. All prices are rounded to the nearest five cents, and all posted prices are including taxes, so you can have your money ready when you get to the register.

Cars drive on the left, not the right.

A switch that is on is pressed down, not up like it is at home. Also, every plug (called a powerpoint btw) has a switch on it to turn power to the plug on or off.

Oh, and the famous toilet spin (the Coriolis Effect, fyi). Well...that's a little tough. I haven't yet found a toilet that spins. It's more of a....um.....waterfall. I'll have a video of that later, but the internet is being a little hairy around here and it took 2 minutes to load this page to post something.

Toilets in this country have a neat little feature that should be worldwide. It's a dry country, so they have dual flush toilets. One 3L flush for when you're draining the nights first 3 pints. And one 6L uber-powerflush for when you have too much taco bell and chilli, thus creating the inevitable situation. It's a smart idea considering in Canada we use 6L of perfectly fine drinkable water whenever we need to get rid of 500mL of urine.

Something to think about...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan, Great Pics!
It may help you to know that how you feel (felt) not unusual. Early in my alone travelling, I found myself in St. Maarten when all my friends had returned to Canada, very awkward and costly telephone service, and even a few people who didn't like me. I felt very alone and depressed, but that did pass - when I met an Australian woman, a world wide traveller with no money!
She changed my life tremendously!
I found that being open and receptive to new contacts and spontaneous events, even if I didn't feel like that, welcomes people into my life who likely felt, deep down, as alone as I did.

All the best Ryan, and of course I'm envious as hell!
How are the mosquitoes and black flies down there?
Carol (Barb's sister)

Dave Johnson said...

Okay Mr Intelligent (can't spell) This is the Ryan I know, I didn't understand half of what you said. Where did you learn all of this poop, (don't want to swear here online).

Glad to imagine that you are enjoying yourself. Keep having fun, nothing is more important going through life than having fun.

Dad